Sunday, September 28, 2014

Air Jordan XI Retro "Space Jams"

I believe I can fly...especially in these kicks!

You follow my posts, and I will definitely deliver to y'all! Presenting to you, the Air Jordan Retro "Space Jams" first release. Yes, I said first release, as in the original pair that came out in 2000. I never in a million years would think I'd own a pair of these iconic shoes, but thanks to the generosity of my cousin (shoutout to Josh!), I now own a pair of these amazing shoes. They fit just the same as my breds (referring to the post Air Jordan XI Breds), but the history and hype around these shoes are second to none. I definitely can relate to R. Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly" song for the movie Space Jam when I put on this pair of shoes. Please check out the pics below!
Doesn't get any better than this.



Blue Jumpmans.


23 baby.

The first release has the Jumpman facing forward, all other releases have him jumping the opposite way.

Check out that backside.

Ice all day.


Original insert card that came with shoes in 2000.

Space Jams are definitely worth the hype

Before we even talk about the movie, you gotta go back to 1995 when Michael first rocked the shoe on the hardcourt against the Orlando Magic in the Eastern Conference Finals. Now this pair was a bit different than what you saw on the silver screen; they had the number 45 etched into the back, black bottoms, clear ice, and a black upper with a blue jumpman logo. This colorway would disappear from the spotlight until Michael starred in the cult classic Space Jam, which debuted in 1996. This is where this colorway lovingly got the nickname "Space Jams".
Poetry in motion.

Driving past Shaq.

Warming up before the game. Notice the black bottoms!

Definitely "space jamming".

Michael going against Penny.

Clean clean clean.
Supposedly game-worn Space Jams signed by Michael. Notice the "45" on the back of the shoes.


Who can forget Michael in his legendary role in the movie Space Jam, starring Bugs Bunny and Bill Murray. It had everything a kid wanted: zany cartoon bits, the greatest basketball player of all time, and of course Lola Bunny (haha maybe that was just me). Besides all the fun cartoon stuff, the one thing that stuck out were the shoes that Michael was wearing. Finally, the shoes that everyone was wondering about were finally in the spotlight again! This time though, the jumpman symbol was purple, and had 23 instead of 45 on the back. Now these were only made for the movie, and would not be seen again until they were released to the general public at the end of December 2000! Now this pair had its own unique color patterns which sported blue bottoms, clear ice, the 23 etched in the back, and a blue jumpman symbol. On top of that, these shoes have only been released to the general public 3 times (2000, 2009, 2011), which means these are very hard to come by. So now when you see a pair of these walking around on the streets, you can definitely appreciate the hype and history behind them and tell'em "Hey nice kicks, I've read alot about them". 
Classic.
Monstar getting yakked on!

Michael waiting for Bill to catch up.

It's a deal.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, great post. And as they always say, "if you learn one thing, then it was worth it." Let's just say I've learned more than one thing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete