Sunday, October 19, 2014

Air Jordan Retro V's "Grapes"


I'm back with a throwback!

What's going on shoeheads? I'm back and all settled in, so let's get back to the shoes!! May I present to you the Air Jordan Retro V "Grapes"! Now I know I covered the V's back in the Laneys post in August, but this colorway is too sweet to deny. My favorite color is purple, and when I saw these were coming back I definitely had to cop a pair. As always, I love a fat tongue on a shoe, and the turquoise lightning bolt will make any normal person break their neck when they see you walk by. They're sweet, simple, and definitely sparkle like a jewel in my collection.

They're so white they're gleaming.

Love the turquoise lightning bolt action.



Backside profile showing off all the accents.

Love the deep purple.

Ice so perfect it looks like actual water is glued to the bottom of these shoes.

Classic jumpman symbol stitched to the back of these classics.

Pop culture of the 90's

The Grapes colorway was released back in 1990, but unfortunately was never worn by Michael on the court due to the obvious colorway infraction. It did however, catch on as part of the pop culture movement of the 90's, most notably worn by Will Smith on the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Funky as ever, Will rocked these on the show; I wonder how much they had to pay Nike to do this, or was it free advertising? Either way pretty cool to see "I Am Legend" in this fresh pair of kicks.
Don Cheadle and Will Smith on the set of Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Look at the colors...my goodness.
Will being Will haha.
Michael did wear the Grapes, but only for ads and endorsements.

Gotta eat those Wheaties!

Just to bring you back to the 90's for a little longer, I especially love this colorway because it reminds me of the Charlotte Hornets. Who could forget the likes of Muggsy Bogues, Larry "Grandmama" Johnson, and baby face Alonzo Mourning. Later that decade, they would also get Jamal Mashburn and Bay Area's favorite Baron Davis 3rd overall in the draft from UCLA. Check out the pics below to bring ya back.
Ridiculous Starter jacket from the 90's.

Original Charlotte Hornets logo.

Larry Johnson, Muggsy Bogues, and Alonzo Mourning looking at my Grapes haha.

Mourning and Johnson looking lost.

Bogues warming up.

Bogues playing that D on Michael.

Baron Davis doing work.

So much raw talent.

Jamal Mashburn squaring up.
Small fact. Kobe Bryant was selected 13th overall by the Charlotte Hornets in 1996, who was to be traded to the LA Lakers for Vlade Divac. The Hornets never intended to keep Bryant, but think what could've been if they did.

The future of the 2014 Charlotte Hornets: Kemba Walker, Al Jefferson, and Lance "whisper in my ear" Stephenson.




1 comment:

  1. Love the throwback history to the freshest of the princes, the Fresh Prince. The only thing I didn't see was actual grapes, the fruits. haha. jk.

    ReplyDelete